Renew my coverage
We are processing Medicaid renewals during the COVID-19 emergency. But you will not lose coverage if you do not renew now. Read more about renewing your health coverage at COVID-19.
You must renew your Virginia Medicaid health coverage each year. This is called an annual renewal. If your local department of social services (DSS) has all the information to complete your renewal, it will be reviewed automatically. You will get a letter in the mail telling you if you will keep your coverage for another year.
If your renewal cannot be completed automatically, you will get a paper renewal form in the mail. This means you must take action to renew your health coverage.
If you do not complete your renewal, you will lose your Medicaid health coverage.
How to renew coverage
You can renew your health coverage in 1 of these 3 ways:
- Online: Go to commonhelp.virginia.gov. Select "Renew my benefits." Read below for how to create an account.
- By phone: Call Cover Virginia at 833-5CALLVA (TTY: 1-888-221-1590).
The call is free.
- By mail or in person: Fill out the paper renewal form. Return it to your local DSS.
How to return information we ask for
You can return information we ask for to complete your renewal in one of these ways:
- Online: Go to commonhelp.virginia.gov.
For more information on how to link your case to your account, read the section below.
- By email: Scan, take a picture, or attach electronic copies to an email and send to firstname.lastname@example.org.
How to create an account at Common Help
- Go to commonhelp.virginia.gov.
- Select "Check my benefits."
- To link your case to your Common Help account, you will need your case number and your member ID number. These numbers are on the front of the paper renewal form that came in the mail. You can also call your local DSS and ask for the two numbers.
Call Cover Virginia at 833-5CALLVA (TTY: 1-888-221-1590).